Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 1st - Over a week old!

I can't believe our baby is over a week old already.  I am sure he has not grown that much but he looks bigger to me already.  I am so looking forward to him growing into a big, beefy baby!  Landon is doing a little better today but his oxygen rate is still a little high and they are worried about damaging his lungs further.  Our doctor spoke with me about starting him on a round of steroids to help develop his lungs.  There are definitely some risks that go along with steroids but they feel the benefits outweigh the risks currently.  I am of course worried about this but trust that the doctors know best.  If the steroids work, we can hopefully ween him onto the conventional ventilator soon.  He will be on the steroids for 7 days, please be praying for him during this time.

Now that he has his PICC line in, if we can get him onto the conventional ventilation, we can start Kangaroo time.  Kangaroo time means I GET TO HOLD MY BABY!!!  You just get to hold them on your chest.  It helps them maintain body heat, they feel more comfortable smelling you and hearing your heartbeat, and their oxygen needs tend to decrease.  Overall it would be great for both of us. I am 90% sure I am going to cry the whole first time I get to hold him, but that could be a little bit down the road yet.

On a better note, I got to pick Landon up for the first time today!  We had to change his bedding and they let me hold him.  It was wonderful and I was so excited.  Unfortunately I was the only one here so no pictures...  Landon also gained weight tonight at his cares.  They are going to start the steroids at 9pm, hoping for great results for our little nugget.

Much Love,
Jason and Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment